I hope you love them as much as my friends did.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time:15-20 minutes
for the batter
- 300gm (2 cups) self raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 240g (1 1/2 cup) dark brown sugar
- 165g (1 1/2 cup) coarsely grated carrots (around 3 carrots)
- 250ml (1cup) vegetable oil
For the cream cheese frosting
- 125g cream cheese , cubed at room temp
- 30gm butter, cubed at room temp
- 80gm (1/2 cup) icing sugar sifted
- 1 tsp finely grated orange rind
for the carrot decoration
- 6 orange starburst lollies
- 1 green jelly lolly cut up into incredibly fine strips
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius, Line a 24 pan muffin tray with muffin liners
- Sift the flour, cinnamon and mixed spice together into a large bowl, stir in the sugar and grated carrot.
- In a separate bowl whisk the oil and eggs, then pour it into the flour mixture and stir until combined
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake liners and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the tops are lightly browned and a skewer comes out clean.
- Take the muffins out of the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.
to make the icing
- Place the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl and beat with electric beaters until smooth, add in the icing sugar and orange rind and beat until smooth and pale in colour.
- Use a wilson 1M tip on a piping bag, fill with the icing mixture and pipe a swirl on top of each cupcake.
To make the carrot
- Wash your hands thoroughly and hold the orange starburst lolly in your hand when still wrapped, allow it to slightly warm. Alternatively you can use a heat pack and place the lolly on the heat pack for 10 seconds but be wary not to over heat it.
- Unwrap the lolly and flatten it using your hands, use scissors to cut the lolly into four pieces.
- Place 3 small green jelly lolly pics at one end with the ends overlying the edge of the orange starburst lolly and roll the orange lolly into a cylinder shape.
- Use a knife to score horizontal lines along the carrot.Repeat this process until 24 cupcakes have been made
- Place each carrot on top of a cupcake and mmmenjoy!