Ok so It’s 3 am. For some very very silly reason I decided to bake at midnight (couldn’t sleep) and then once I started I had to finish them, so here they are, delicious home made pop tarts (and I know you really shouldn’t talk about your own cooking, but I really love these). For those that don’t know what a pop tart is they’re like a jam tart but with icing and when they’re hot I can’t help but enjoy them with a nice steaming cup of tea. I love eating these and as you can’t buy them in Australia anymore here’s the recipe to make your own 🙂
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Serves: 12 pop-tarts
For the pastry
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons cold water
for the filling
- 2-3 tablespoons of jam per pop tart
for the icing
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius
- Combine the flour and the salt in a large mixing bowl, then add in the cubed butter and shortening. Mix together with your hands until a it is a crumb like consistency. Add in the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture forms a ball. (you may not require all the water)
- Roll out the dough to around 3mm thickness. Cut out rectangular shapes mine were around 8cm x10cm size
- Take one rectangle and place 1 teaspoon of jam on top. Cover with another rectangle, and press the edges together and crimp with a fork. Repeat with the remaining pieces of pastry.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool mix the icing sugar with the water and spread over each pop tart. Place sprinkles on top.
- Enjoy 🙂