These are by far my favourite donut. I’ve previously been partial to the chocolate iced donut but these by far surpassed that. Donuts are one of my favourite snacks/ dessert. It just can’t get better than deep fried batter with a sweet gooey filling.
So here is the recipe, hope you mmmenjoy this as much as I did!
Prep time: 10 minutes + 1 hour rising time Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
for the batter
- 200ml Milk
- 1 teaspoon of caster sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons of Dried Yeast
- 3 cups of plain Flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Fresh Nutmeg
- 1 Egg
- 60g Melted Butter
- enough oil for deep frying
For the filling
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam -or whichever jam you please
- icing sugar for dusting
- Add 1 tsp of caster sugar to milk, microwave for 40 sec, then mix in yeast. Let sit for 3 minutes
- in a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Add in the one egg, milk/yeast mixture and melted butter. Mix with a fork until roughly mixed then use your hands to bring it together. Knead for five minutes until silky in texture (add in more milk if it is too dry and not elastic enough.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover and allow to rise for 30 minutes(I prefer to preheat my oven to the lowest setting then turn it off and allow the dough to rise in the oven with a cup of water to keep it moist)
- Roll out dough to 0.5-1cm thickness (do not make it bigger than 1 cm as they will rise, and when u fry them they will expand). Use a cookie cutter to cut out circles that are are 8cm diameter. Then lay them out on a tray and cover with cling wrap, and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan to 190 degrees celsius, and drop donuts into the oil. The donuts will first drop to the bottom and then rise. Flip them once they rise (around 15-30 seconds) and allow to cook until very lightly brown and remove (beware they burn very very easily). Note that it will take less than 1 minute for them to cook. Then place them on some paper towel to dry.
For the filling
- Fill a pipping bag with a long nozzle tip with jam, press the tip into the donut and squeeze some jam in.
- repeat on each donut until done.
- Dust the donuts with icing sugar and mmmenjoy