Cooking time: 25 mins, makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcake
- 175gm plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 50gm cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 225gm caster sugar
- 175gm butter, softened
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 175ml milk
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
For the icing
- 250gm butter softened
- 500gm icing sugar
- 1/2 -1/4 cup caramel sauce
For the caramel sauce
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup thickened crean
- 65gm butter cubed, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Mix together the flour, bicarb, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt and sugar.
- Add the softened butter to the mixture and beat until well combined.
- Beat in the milk, eggs and vanilla to the mixture.
- Using a x12 cupcake tray, fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way. Bake for 20-25 mins until a skewer comes out clean
For the icing:
- Beat the butter together with the icing sugar until well combined then beat in 1/4 cup of the caramel sauce. Add the remaining caramel sauce by taste.
For the caramel sauce:
- Add 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons of water to a pot. Mix to combine then place on medium to high heat
- Allow the mixture to cook for 10-11 minutes. Do not stur the mixture, at most swirl the pot. Watch the mixture and let it change to a goldern colour.
- Turn the heat down to low and slowly add in the butter and whisk until combined. Next add the cream and whisk in until mixed in.
- Remove from the heat and add vanilla extract and salt (as much as you wish)
- Refridgerate for several hours to let it thicken.
To assemble the cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, cut a small 1cm diameter coned hole into the middle of the cupcake. Fill the hole with caramel sauce.
- Using a 1M piping tip, pipe the buttercream icing on top.
- Drizzle some caramel icing on top.
- If you like you decorate with caramel popcorn
- Repeat for all cupcakes and mmmenjoy!