For the cake batter
- 200gm dark chocolate melted
- 125gm butter, softened
- 250gm light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears after each addition. Add melted chocolate and beat just until blended.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Gradually beat flour mixture into chocolate mixture at medium-low speed, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Gradually add 1 cup hot water in a slow, steady stream, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Grease one high round cake pan and pour the batter in. Bake at 175°C for 60-90 minutes or until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
for the chocolate ganache
- 200gm dark chocolate
- 300ml heavy cream
- place the dark chocolate pieces in a pot. Cover with the heavy cream.
- Put the heat on medium-low and stir until mixed.
- pour around 2/3 over the cake until covered. Refrigerate the rest.
- with the cold mixture pipe swirls, and a shell border. decorate with fruit and toffee shards if you wish.