This is a long recipe and it utilises many elements. To be simple you can just use make the cake as one- and cook it for 1.5 hours, and cover with the caramel buttercream icing. Decorations are up to you!
For the cake batter
- 200gm dark chocolate melted
- 125gm butter, softened
- 250gm light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 65gm butter, cubed, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
For the caramel buttercream icing
- 125gm cup butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- salted caramel sauce
for the chocolate ganache
- 200gm dark chocolate
- 300ml heavy cream
- Beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears after each addition. Add melted chocolate and beat just until blended.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Gradually beat flour mixture into chocolate mixture at medium-low speed, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Gradually add 1 cup hot water in a slow, steady stream, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Grease two 10-inch round cake pans and divide the batter evenly between the pans. Bake at 175°C for 25-35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
To make the Salted Caramel
- Add 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water to a pot. Mix to combine and then turn heat to medium high.
- Lift the pot and swirl but do not stir. Cook until the sugar turns to a caramel color, about 10 to 11 minutes (watch it very carefully so it doesn’t burn).
- Turn the heat down to low. Add butter and whisk until thoroughly combined. Again, being careful, add heavy cream and whisk thoroughly.
- Remove from the heat and add vanilla extract and salt (add more if you like it even more salty) and whisk thoroughly. Allow to cool completely before putting into an airtight container and refrigerating.
To make the butter cream icing
- Beat together the butter and icing sugar until smooth,
- Add 2-5 tablespoons of salted caramel sauce according to taste. And beat together until mixed in
- Add salt if required
- Place the chocolate and cream in a sauce pan. Mix together over low heat.
- once smooth remove from heat.
for the decorations:
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup water
Stir water and sugar in a saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to boil. If there is sugar stuck to the sides brush down a wet brush.
- Allow mixture to boil until tit turns golden. Remove from heat.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Be careful and pour the mixture into the pan.
- Do not touch as it is very hot. Allow to cool in a dry place. Break when dry and arrange on cake as desired
honey caramel popcorn
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup popping corn
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 60g butter, chopped
Pop the popping corn- either in the microwave or over the stove. Try to use as little oil or butter as possible as it will affect the ability of the mixture to stick to the corn.
- Salt the popcorn
Place honey, sugar and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Cook for 6 minutes until all the sugar has dissolved. Bring the mixture the boil for 6 minutes.
- Pour mixture over popcorn in a non stick bowl. Spoon into a baking paper covered pan and allow to cool. Break into pieces and mmmenjoy
- Use the buttercream icing as a layer between the two cake pieces, drizzle extra caramel sauce in-between the layers for a more caramel taste.
- Refrigerate the cake, then ice with the buttercream. If there are too many crumbs affecting the buttercream icing, do a very thin buttercream icing layer and refrigerate. Then re-ice it with the buttercream and you should end up with a clean buttercream outside coat. Refrigerate again until cold.
- drizzle the chocolate ganache over the top, and allow to drip down the sides
- artfully decorate it with the toffee shards and popcorn
- slice and mmmenjoy!