- 125gm butter
- 100gm brown sugar
- 125ml goldern syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cup or 375gm plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Red and green mm
- The 1 egg white leftover from the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180degrees celcius
- In a seperate bowl beat the butter and sugar together until a pale mixture forms. Then add the goldern syrup amd egg yolk and beat until combined.
- Mix in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice
- Turn out onto a clean floured surface and knead hbtil smooth. Wrap in clingwrap amd refridgerate for 30mins
- Remove the dough from the fridge and place between two sheets of baking paper. Roll until 5mm thickness and use cookie cutters to cut the desired shape out. Place on trays and bake for 10mins
- Mix the eggwhite with the icing sugar and put into a pipping bag. Decorate your cookies as you wish, allow to set and mmmenjoy
Christmas Jam cookies
Makes approx. 30 8cm biscuits (cookies)
- 250g (1 cup) butter, at room temperature
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- 1 egg
- 500g (2 cups) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 350g strawberry jam
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
- With an electric mixer cream the butter, sugar and eggs together until pale and creamy.
- Slowly beat in the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt until just combined.
- form into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- lightly flour a clean bench and roll out dough to 3mm thickness. Cut circular cookies out of the dough and place them on baking trays. Then in half of them cut out centre cutouts using christmas shapes if you have them, if not a mini circle works just as well and looks great, (it’s best to do this on the tray as the cut out can change shape if you move the dough around)
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes till lightly brown. move to a wire cooling rack and leave to cook
for the jam
- mix the jam and spices together in a small saucepan and heat until the spices dissolve into the jam and taste amazing!
- Allow to cool and spread on the cookies. Fit them together and mmmenjoy!