These cupcakes are great for a party, the tops have that perfect crunchy textures, and they are just so cute!
I hope you love them as much as my friends did.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time:15-20 minutes
for the batter
- 300gm (2 cups) self raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 240g (1 1/2 cup) dark brown sugar
- 165g (1 1/2 cup) coarsely grated carrots (around 3 carrots)
- 250ml (1cup) vegetable oil
For the cream cheese frosting
- 125g cream cheese , cubed at room temp
- 30gm butter, cubed at room temp
- 80gm (1/2 cup) icing sugar sifted
- 1 tsp finely grated orange rind
for the carrot decoration
- 6 orange starburst lollies
- 1 green jelly lolly cut up into incredibly fine strips
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius, Line a 24 pan muffin tray with muffin liners
- Sift the flour, cinnamon and mixed spice together into a large bowl, stir in the sugar and grated carrot.
- In a separate bowl whisk the oil and eggs, then pour it into the flour mixture and stir until combined
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake liners and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the tops are lightly browned and a skewer comes out clean.
- Take the muffins out of the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.
to make the icing
- Place the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl and beat with electric beaters until smooth, add in the icing sugar and orange rind and beat until smooth and pale in colour.
- Use a wilson 1M tip on a piping bag, fill with the icing mixture and pipe a swirl on top of each cupcake.
To make the carrot
- Wash your hands thoroughly and hold the orange starburst lolly in your hand when still wrapped, allow it to slightly warm. Alternatively you can use a heat pack and place the lolly on the heat pack for 10 seconds but be wary not to over heat it.
- Unwrap the lolly and flatten it using your hands, use scissors to cut the lolly into four pieces.
- Place 3 small green jelly lolly pics at one end with the ends overlying the edge of the orange starburst lolly and roll the orange lolly into a cylinder shape.
- Use a knife to score horizontal lines along the carrot.Repeat this process until 24 cupcakes have been made
- Place each carrot on top of a cupcake and mmmenjoy!
These are by far my favourite donut. I’ve previously been partial to the chocolate iced donut but these by far surpassed that. Donuts are one of my favourite snacks/ dessert. It just can’t get better than deep fried batter with a sweet gooey filling.
So here is the recipe, hope you mmmenjoy this as much as I did!
Prep time: 10 minutes + 1 hour rising time Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
for the batter
- 200ml Milk
- 1 teaspoon of caster sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons of Dried Yeast
- 3 cups of plain Flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Fresh Nutmeg
- 1 Egg
- 60g Melted Butter
- enough oil for deep frying
For the filling
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam -or whichever jam you please
- icing sugar for dusting
- Add 1 tsp of caster sugar to milk, microwave for 40 sec, then mix in yeast. Let sit for 3 minutes
- in a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Add in the one egg, milk/yeast mixture and melted butter. Mix with a fork until roughly mixed then use your hands to bring it together. Knead for five minutes until silky in texture (add in more milk if it is too dry and not elastic enough.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover and allow to rise for 30 minutes(I prefer to preheat my oven to the lowest setting then turn it off and allow the dough to rise in the oven with a cup of water to keep it moist)
- Roll out dough to 0.5-1cm thickness (do not make it bigger than 1 cm as they will rise, and when u fry them they will expand). Use a cookie cutter to cut out circles that are are 8cm diameter. Then lay them out on a tray and cover with cling wrap, and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan to 190 degrees celsius, and drop donuts into the oil. The donuts will first drop to the bottom and then rise. Flip them once they rise (around 15-30 seconds) and allow to cook until very lightly brown and remove (beware they burn very very easily). Note that it will take less than 1 minute for them to cook. Then place them on some paper towel to dry.
For the filling
- Fill a pipping bag with a long nozzle tip with jam, press the tip into the donut and squeeze some jam in.
- repeat on each donut until done.
- Dust the donuts with icing sugar and mmmenjoy