Due to national donut day yesterday I thought it was only fitting that I make some mmmdelicious donuts for everyone to enjoy.
These are so much fun to eat, and there is nothing better than biting into that warm donut!
Prep time: 20 minutes + 1 hour rising time Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 200ml Milk
- 1 teaspoon of caster sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons of Dried Yeast
- 3 cups of plain Flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Fresh Nutmeg
- 1 Egg
- 60g Melted Butter
- enough oil for deep frying
- Cinnamon sugar:- 1/2 cup caster sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- simple glaze- 1cup icing sugar and 1 tbsp water, 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- chocolate glaze -1 cup icing sugar, 1 tbsp water, 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Add 1 tsp of caster sugar to milk, microwave for 40 sec, then mix in yeast. Let sit for 30 minutes
- in a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Add in the one egg, milk/yeast mixture and melted butter. Mix with a fork until roughly mixed then use your hands to bring it together. Knead for five minutes until silky in texture (add in more milk if it is too dry and not elastic enough.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover and allow to rise for 30 minutes(I prefer to preheat my oven to the lowest setting then turn it off and allow the dough to rise in the oven with a cup of water to keep it moist)
- Roll out dough to 0.5-1cm thickness (do not make it bigger than 1 cm as they will rise, and when u fry them they will expand), and cut out donut shapes either with a donut cutter, or with two circle cutters. Then lay them out on a tray and cover with cling wrap, and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan to 190 degrees celsius, and drop donuts into the oil. The donuts will first drop to the bottom and then rise. Flip them once they rise (around 15-30 seconds) and allow to cook until very lightly brown and remove (beware they burn very very easily). Note that it will take less than 1 minute for them to cook. Then place them on some paper towel to dry.
for the icing
- for the cinnamon sugar -cover the donuts in the sugar when still warm and enjoy!
- for the icing mix the ingredients of the glaze together. Our the glaze mixture into a shallow wide dish and just dip the top of the donut into the icing mixture and allow to set