So it’s that time of year again, Chinese New Year time!! Now as many of you do (or maybe you don’t) Yee sang is a traditional dish we have every year to celebrate the new year symbolising goodluck. The food is arranged on the plate, and everyone in the table gets to mix together the dish ( it is also the one time mum lets you play with your food as a child!).
Anyway I find this dish mmmdelicious! and I look forward to it every year, hope you enjoy it too.
Prep time: 30 minutes(can be longer if you chop slower) Cook time: 5 minutes (its all cooked already)
- 3 carrots
- 2 lebanese cucumbers
- 1/4 lettuce
- 2 nectarines
- 500g smoked salmon
- 300gm ham
- 1 orange
- 1 pomelo
- peanuts- around a handful
- won ton skin
- 1/4 cup plum sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Grate the carrot and arrange on one section the plate, repeat with the cucumber. Shread the lettuce and arrange on the plate as well.
- slice the smoked salmon and place on the plate, slice the ham and also arrange on the plate
- dice the orange, and nectarines and also place on the plate. spread the pomelo and add to the plate
- slice the wonton skin into strips and fry them in a pot of hot oil. Be quick to remove them as they turn from golden to burnt very quickly. Place them in a bowl at the side
- Crush some peanuts and place in a bowl
- Mix the plum sauce, 1 tsp of sugar and a tsp of water together to make the dressing and mix until combined.
The Yee sang is now ready for consumption!! Remember to pour the wanton skin, peanuts and dressing on right before you all mix it together.
thought I’d share a picture of our CNY feast!!