🙂 its valentine day, so I couldn’t help but make these cookies. This recipe works perfectly for icing cookies, and don’t they look cute!
Prep time: 10 minutes + 1hr in the fridge, Cooking time: 8 minutes
for the cookie
- 90g soft unsalted butter cubed
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
for the icing
- 150 g icing sugar
- red food colouring
- Cream the butter and the sugar until pale and creamy, add in the e.g. and vanilla extract beat until combined
- add in the flour, baking powder and salt and beat until just combined, add in more flour if the mixture is too sticky to be made into a ball.
- roll into a ball and shape into a disc shape, wrap in cling wrap and place in fridge for one hour.
- fifteen minutes before the mixture is ready to be removed front the fridge preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- When ready take out mixture from fridge, lightly flour a clean surface and roll out to around 0.5cm thickness and cut to heart shape with a heart cookie cutter
- bake on a tray in the oven for 8 minutes until the edges have just started to brown. Remove and allow to cool on a cooling rack
for the icing
- mix the icing sugar with a drop of the food colouring and a teaspoon of water, add more water as required, and it is ready when the icing mixture can coat the back of a spoon without running off
- cover the cookie with the red icing sugar and allow to set.
- next add some icing sugar with water and pour into a piping bag, decorate as you wish then serve and enjoy 🙂