mmm chocolate!!! I’ve been seriously craving chocolate lately…..like really craving it, so I decided to go insane chocolatey with these cupcakes. Instead of a normal cake batter I used devils food cake, and for a filling I used a chocolate buttercream, and to top it all off I used chocolate frosting to decorate it! In other words its a chocolate, chocolate, chocolate cupcake!
Anyway I’m currently writing this at 8.00 in the morning and geez its early! Ive been sleeping at like 3 or 4 for the last couple of nights and man waking up at 7.00 for a presentation practice is such a b**** . Do you think it’s overkill if I hide at the back of my lecture and take a nap? Anyway I better quickly post this up because I’m starting to get evil looks!
Prep time:30 mins
Cooking time :20 minutes
for the cake
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 375g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
for the filling
- 125g butter cubed
- 250g icing sugar (sifted)
- 2-3 tablspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
for the icing
- 1 egg, 2 egg yolks
- 250g butter cubed
- 500g icing sugar
- 185g dark chocolate melted and cubed
for the cupcake
- Combine cocoa powder and water in a small bowl and mix until blended. Set aside to cool. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, and line 2 12x muffin trays.
- Place butter and vanilla essence in a large mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition until mixture is creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, corn flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl. Divide flour mixture into 3 and fold into cocoa mixture alternating with the cream.
- Divide batter into cupcake pans and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove from pans to cooling rack.
for the filling
- place butter into a bowl and beat until light,
- add icing sugar and cocoa powder and beat until well combined
- cut out the centres of each cupcake using a knife or apple corer
- place filling mixture into an icing bag and pipe into the hole.
To make the icing
- Place butter in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Mix in egg, egg yolks and then mix in the icing sugar.
- Add chocolate and beat until icing is thick and creamy.
- Pour icing into an icing bag and pipe it on to the top of the cupcake