I made this a day before my driving test and I actually had a lesson that day. Now anyone who’s ever had to cook with balachan before knows …. The smell!!! Wow!!! It really stays with you! The unfortunate thing is you become desensitised after half an hour of cooking with it. My poor driving instructor had to suffer through the smell, as even after two clothes changes i still couldn’t get rid of it!
Anyway I’m only writing this post up like a fortnight after it happened, so I’m at uni at the moment listening to my lecturer prattle on about all the layers of bone, I mean its great but we already covered it in a previous unit so I can’t help but tune out, I also managed to oversleep and miss the first five minutes!!!! I so need coffee I’ve only had like 2 cups so far and my eyes are closing! You know I think this is becoming more of a diary or a rant session instead of a food blog…ah well I apologise in advance for the future rants! Anyways before I get started on my notes I better post this up, hope you love it as much as me 🙂
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 125g balachan
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 300g asam
- 6-12 tablespoon sugar (go by taste)
- 1/2 -1 tablespoon sambal (again go by taste)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 150g rice vermicelli
- Place the rice vermicelli in a bowl and soak in water
- In a separate bowl soak the asam in the cup of water.
- In a hot pan add the oil, cut the baldachin into slices and add to the hot pan. Using a spatula cut the baldachin into small pieces while frying it, or until it crumbles apart. (For anyone who has a barbecue I highly recommend you do this outside!!! The smell!!!)
- Remove the asam seeds from the asam/water mixture and transfer to a pot and bring to the boil.
- add in the balachan and stir
- reduce the heat to medium and add in the sugar, and samba. Taste and add any extra seasoning accordingly
- Remove beehoon from the water, slice cucumber into tiny strips, blanch the bean sprouts. Add to a bowl, pour the sauce over the top and mmmenjoy!