Ok so you know when you start a short TV series and it really sucks, but you just have to finish it because………well just because. I did just that with ‘Kane and Abel’ and it actually paid off for once, the ending was done so much better than I expected 🙂 Anyway I made this salad a couple of days ago as I was recently in Margaret river and found the most delicious caramelised balsamic salad dressing. I couldn’t wait to try it out,I actually got a chance to try it out in the shop and I just knew it would work perfectly with this salad. If you are lucky enough to visit Margaret River you should stop by Flame Tree winery which sells this Caramelised Balsamic dressing, or Cape Farm Shop which actually produces it. If not then I’ve also added a Balsamic vinaigrette dressing below, its an oldy but a goody and it still does the trick. I’ve altered it a little though, usually people add around equal amounts of balsamic to olive oil, or more olive oil according to taste; however I’ve never been very big on the oil thing even when cooking, I always tend to use as little as possible. Instead I normally use a much higher ratio of balsamic to olive oil, also depending on my mood I might add some crushed garlic as well.
Prep time: 15 mins
No cooking time!
for the salad
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 80g baby spinach leaves
- 100g smoked salmon
- 3 boiled eggs
- 2 roma tomatos
for the dressing
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil to taste (i only ever use 1/8th of a cup max but it really is up to you and how you prefer it)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 8th the tomatoes slice the smoked salmon into thin strips, quarter the boiled eggs, and slice the avocado.
- Toss the spinach, walnuts, avocado, egg, salmon, and tomato in a bowl
- In a separate small bowl mix the balsamic vinegar with a little olive oil and the thyme.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and enjoy!