I’ve had an awesome day today, managed to catch up with an old friend that I haven’t seen in over six months, and boy can we talk! In a blink of an eye 1 hour had gone past! Anyway I had to quickly rush home to do dinner so I settled on something quite simple but delicious to make. The potatoes are really the standout of this dish, they just fall apart in your mouth, while still having that perfect crunch. It’s so simple an easy to do, I really recommend it if you have time.
prep time: 30 mins
cooking time: 30 mins
for the potatoes
- 8 small Chat potatoes
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 40g butter
- salt to taste
for the salmon
- 2 large pieces of salmon
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
- peel the potatoes and boil for 15 mins
- drain the water and allow to cool for 15 mins (but if you’re impatient 5-10 mins will do, just use a paper towel when smashing so you don’t burn yourself)
- line a tray with baking aluminium foil and place the potatoes in it. Using the heel of your hand (just distal to the wrist, or where your carpels lie!) smash the potatoes (in other words give them a good hard whack).
- sprinkle the thyme on top of the potatoes and break off the butter into tiny pieces and place around the potatoes.
- Place in the oven for 20mins while periodically tossing so they are coated in the butter, then place under the grill for 5 mins.
- Coat the salmon in oil and a little salt, add oil to a pan and fry for approximately 3-5 mins each side (fry on all 4 sides) and remove and sit on paper towels to absorb some of the oil.
- Serve on a plate with the potatoes and even a salad if you like, and enjoy!